Graphics: Introductory Lesson
Objective: This introductory lessons covers some basic techniques that you can use to create a header or any other image. It has detailed steps and is suitable for an introductory tutorial in http://pixlr.com.
- Start a new Pixlr file and set size to about 900px by 250px.
- Save the file as "myheader", with the "Layered Pixlr Image" format, PXD.
If you are in the CSCI-115 class, save it in a new folder called "115".
- Find a background image from a royalty free website, such as:
http://www.stockvault.net or MorgueFile.com or PicJumbo.com or Foter.com
Save your image; then open it in Pixlr.
- From the Image menu, change the WIDTH of your background image to 1000px. Let the HEIGHT remain proportionally sized.
- Select and copy your background image. (EDIT/Select All)
- Go back to your "myheader" file and Paste it.
- Use the Move tool to move the pasted image to a desired location.
(Note that you will likely lose a portion of the image.)
- Next, you will be adding a headshot photo of yourself onto the page. Start by opening your photo in another file.
- Resize it, with a maximum height of 300.
- Draw a round marquee around your picture.
- Select the inverse and DELETE the background of your picture.
- Copy it to your "myheader" file.
- If necessary to resize it, choose EDIT/Transform.
- Add text with the "T" or Text tool.
This part is intuitive, so I will stop with the detailed instructions. Continue to refine your banner as desired.
- When completed, save your file again with the PXD format.
- Then save finally as a .jpg format so that it can be used on a website.