Outlined Text with Hard Black Shadow
Objective: This is a very quick example of how you can take advantage of the Styles palette and customize it to fit your needs.
USEFUL TIP: A drop shadow is a good way of off-setting text, especially against a busy background. As a part of this exercise, you will change the shadow to 100% instead of 75%, making it even more pronounced.
- Create a new file at about 600 X 250 px. Then change the background color.
- Type a text block and increase the font size.
- Apply the following style:
- From the Styles palette, click the Options menu and choose "Text Effects".
- Choose "Clear Double Black Stroke"
- Modify it by double-clicking on the Effects icon on the Layers palette.
- From the Layer Style dialog box, reduce the stroke from 6 to 3.
- Then click on Drop Shadow and change the opacity from 75 to 100.
- Then increase the Distance to about 10. Then reduce the Spread and Size to zero (0).
- Feel free to undo the changes if you wish. I don't care what it looks like in the end, and long as you have explored some of the possibilities in that dialog box.