Text Enhancement Exercise (about 15 Minutes)
In this short tutorial you will learn how to rasterize text. It also covers merging layers.
- Start new file, about 600 X 300 pixels. Resolution should be 72.
- Change the background color to black.
- Change the font to Red, and type "AMERICA" or any word in large letters, about 110pt.
- Stretch the text vertically:
- Choose the Move Tool (i.e. the arrow)
- Click EDIT/Free Transform to stretch the text.
- Duplicate the layer (right click it on the Layer's palette)
- On the duplicated laer, use Text Tool; double click to highlight the text. Color it blue.
- Rasterize the Blue text
- Click LAYER/Rasterize/Type.
- Use the Rectangle Marquee tool, and drag a selection across top half of it.
- Press DELETE.
- Deselect by clicking SELECT/Deselect.
- Merge the two layers
- Go to the Layers Palette. Hold Control/Command and click on both America layers.
- Choose LAYER/Merge Layers.
- Add a white stroke around letters.
- Go to the AMERICA layer
- Choose EDIT/Stroke. Change color to white, 4 pixels.
- Add a filter
- Choose FILTER/Distort.
- Then choose Ripple. Try something else if you'd like