Goal: To obtain an account from Wix.com and start learning how to create a professional looking website. Keep in mind that this is not your Semester Design Portfolio. The purpose is to help you become acquainted with the Wix platform.
Planning your theme and content:
The theme is an "autobiography website."
You may use Latin text from BlindTextGenerator if you wish, but do not use the existing placeholder text from Wix. I want you to really engage and avoid aimless practice. Therefore, you will have a definite focus of creating your own simplified autobiographical website.
- Go to www.wix.com.
- Click the Get Started button.
- Sign up for the account.
If you already have an account, you can use the same account and simply add another website to it.
- It may ask a few questions and you can either answer or Skip.
- Click on “Choose Template”, then choose the subcategory you wish
- Once you choose a template, it is very important for you to record the following in a word processing file:
- Copy & paste the name of the template
- Choose View This Website
- Copy & paste the web address of the template
Even if you are not sure which template you are going to use, save the information for each that you are considering. The reason is that you will submit info on the original template along with you actual website. This allows me to examine how much customization you have done.
- Now, you can click Edit this Site and start working on your site.
Continue designing the website:
In summary, you may use placeholder text, but real headings. Your site should have at least four pages. Example topics are:
Home ‖ The Early Years ‖ Education ‖ Career Plans
At minimum, try these edits and customizations:
- Personalize the homepage background and/or banner picture.
- Do not use ANY OF the existing placeholder text or images. You may use Latin text from BlindTextGenerator.
- Add your own photos or stock photos from the internet.
- Change the site’s colors – background and colors.
- Don’t just “change images”, but add a few images to a totally new positions on the page.
- Change some of the navigation pages.
- Add a link to your favorite website.
- Change the width of a textbox; then add another one next to it.
- Save the website.
- Publish the website.
Note that when you click SUBMIT, it says Congratulations and shows your web address beneath the word.
Upload your word processing/pdf file to the "Initial Wix Practice" dropbox. Remember that the file must include 3 pieces of data:
- The name of the original template, e.g. Actor & Model Resume
- The web address of the original template
- Your web address, once you've published the site
Due Date: Monday, March 29, 2021 at 6pm