Use what you learned in Project 8 of the textbook to complete the following freeform exercise. First, carefully read the Art Director and Client comments. Then create your own design to meet the needs of the project. Your design must be highly original. It should not be designed exactly like the one in the text book. Be creative!
When finished, write an explanation of your reasoning behind your final design. In your ½ to 1-page evaluation, these are some of the concepts that you should address:
- Explain your use of design principles and elements (e.g. contrast, repetition, alignment, proximity).
- Visual appeal, creativity, and your use of design guidelines.
- Why your design appeals to your intended audience.
- WHY you used certain design elements/features. Don't simply state what you used.
Art Director Comments
Your local community theater is planning a summer production of “Down the Yellow Brick Rabbit Hole,” a satirical mashup of “The Wizard of Oz" meets “Alice in Wonderland.” You have been hired to create a piece to advertise the play in local media and in the community.
To complete this project, you should:
- Design a full page advertisement for a magazine (8.5” x 11”).
- Find or create artwork that appropriately illustrates the concept of the play. In addition to the art objects that you make in InDesign, you may use clipart that are copyright free.
As the director and playwright, I was inspired by Gregory Maguire’s unique rewrites of classic fairy tales. But then I started to think about what would happen if the characters from different books met somehow…and this play is the result.
I don’t want to spoil anything, but some real sparks fly when Queen of Hearts and the Wizard of Oz get together. And the wicked witch, well, she’s got her hands full trying to escape the clutches of an army of talking caterpillars. This play is one-third mystery, one-third dramedy, and one-third just plain silly! It’s got star-crossed lovers, an evil villain an inept magician, a rather foolish prince, and even a mad flying monkey that wears some strange hats
The only text in the ad should be:
Down the Yellow Brick Rabbit Hole;
By Stacey Wrightwood;
At the Preston Theater this August;
800-555-PLAY for ticket information
Instructions to Submit:
- PRINT THE AD IN COLOR and submit. (Read this if you need more info on printing in the library.)
- Don't forget to submit your write-up along with it.
Lastly,... for backup purposes, convert/export the InDesign file into a .PDF file and upload it in OAKS Dropbox called “FOR STORAGE PURPOSES ONLY.” You will need it for your Design Portfolio in April.
Also, keep in mind that I will never grade anything in this particular dropbox. It is for your backup only.